Monday, March 8, 2010

Messy Food and a Talent

Here's what's new in the food world for Brandon! Brandon has been steadily increasing his food repertoire. He doesn't seem to love to eat (didn't get that from his mama), but he tolerates it enough to get in a few solid foods every day. He is now eating 5 fruits (bananas, pears, prunes, applesauce, avocado) 6 vegetables (butternut squash, sweet potatoes, carrots, peas, asparagus, broccoli), 3 grains (rice cereal, oatmeal, mixed grains cereal) and 1 dairy (yogurt).


A face only a mother could love, right? This picture and the below video are of Brandon making more of a mess than usual. After taking a big bite, he tends to take the back of his hand and rub the food all over his face and eyes. Here he was eating a mixture of sweet potatoes and avocado. Sounds good, huh? Brandon LOVES sweet potatoes. He sometimes likes avocado and sometimes doesn't, so I usually try to mix it with something he loves to make sure he eats it. The day I took this picture and video Brandon was not too interested in eating in general, but whenever I started taking a video of him, he would eat a few more bites. I guess he's already learning to show off for the camera!



This next video shows Brandon's super talent at blowing bubbles with a straw. I started working on straw drinking with him about a month ago - not because 6 months it is the age when kids should be drinking from straws, but more because I've worked on straw drinking with several therapy clients over the years, and I wondered how young I could get a baby to use one. It took a couple weeks, but he was able to drink from it! His sucking pattern wasn't too consistent, though. He would sometimes blow and then would suck in really hard and get a big mouthful of water. Just recently he started getting more control of blowing and now all he wants to do is blow bubbles with the straw.



I love this next picture! This was his face the first time he tried broccoli. He just does not love foods that are green. He'll even refuse them by sight now. I have to mix them with something orange in order to get his greens in!

That's not a great image to leave you with, I know. We took some really great pictures of him yesterday outside, so I'll post those soon!

1 comment:

  1. I love that funny, messy boy! Some of the images are not representative of how adorable he usually is though! Hugs from his Mimi

    ReplyDelete