A couple weeks ago, KZ, Brandon, and I took off for Indiana (7 hours) where Brandon and I entertained ourselves as best as we could at the hotel while KZ worked for a couple days. From there we drove to the cabin (9 hours), where we stayed for 9 nights! I haven't been there for even close to a week since I was little, so it was a real treat being there for so long, especially since the drive was so long. All I can say about the drive is thank goodness for portable DVD players and Baby Einstein. Overall Brandon did really well for how long the drives were, but it was not a relaxing ride for any of us.
When we first got to the cabin, my sister Christie's family was there. We spent the weekend with Christie, Andy, Drew (rising high school senior), and several of Drew's friends. On Sunday, my parents arrived and stayed 3 nights, and then KZ's parents came up for our last weekend.
The week we were there coincided with Brandon's first birthday, which we celebrated there. If you didn't see the blog post about his birthday, go here.
There is also a blog posting about the creek, which is one of the best parts about going to the cabin. To see that post, go here.
We did a few other fun things during the week other than celebrate Brandon's birthday, go to the creek and eat way too much. Here are the highlights:
On the way back from the creek, we drove through this beautiful new development which has yet to hold any houses, probably due to the economy. This deck was built for residents to enjoy, and it is a really beautiful, peaceful place to sit. Brandon loved climbing up and down the stairs.
Also with KZ's parents we hiked Whiteside Mountain, the mountain facing the cabin. Thankfully there is a moderate hike starting half way up the backside of the mountain. It's a great hike with amazing views at the top. My dad has climbed the front side, but no one else in our family has braved that yet.
After leaving the cabin, we went back to Indiana for a few days and finally went home after being gone 2 weeks. We had a great trip, but it is good to be home!

Sounds like you guys had a great time! It looks so relaxing there. I went to Sliding Rock with my grandparents as a kid when they lived near Ashville. I remember it being a ton of fun!
ReplyDelete