Monday, September 28, 2009

Babies Don't Keep

I recently recollected a poem from deep in my memory that has been there since I was little. There was a framed poem on the wall in my friend Cori Bray's room in her family's old house. I must have spent quite a lot of time in there because I remembered most of it. I was able to find the missing pieces on the internet. Here it is:

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow,
For children grow up, so I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

I have a problem called "multitasking." Today I found myself feeding Brandon, eating lunch, and checking my email all at the same time, and not doing any of them very efficiently! Even when playing with Brandon I am usually thinking about what needs to be cleaned, what I need at the store, and what I want to cook, and the rest of the time I am doing those things! I am realizing that I need to be fully present when I am spending time with my son - giving him my full attention and enjoying every second because I will never get to savor him as an 11 week old again after this week is over. So what if the floors don't get cleaned for another day...I'm enjoying my baby and babies don't keep!

4 comments:

  1. What a beautiful poem and reminder!

    ReplyDelete
  2. that is totally crazy that you remember that! I had no recollection of it until I started readying it and it all came back!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I had a cross-stitch of that in my room too when I was younger! Glad you're enjoying your baby!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was a good reminder to me too. I empathize completely. I know Molly can tell the difference between me REALLY playing with her and just entertaining while completing other tasks. The exact same poem was hanging on the wall in my parent's house :-)

    ReplyDelete